Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Vision

For the past few years I have been toying with the idea of getting back into racing and doing everything the legal way. No more canyon runs or stoplight to stoplight games like the ones I often found myself in as a teenager, but true track racing with NASA and SCCA. One major hurddle that kept me, and I'm sure many like me, off the track is the money needed to buy and build a car that doesn't double as a daily driver.

In the summer of 2000 one of my best friends purchased a 1993 RX-7 R1 with the hopes of having a car that he could drive and autocross when on leave from the Army. Since that time he and I have worked to do minor modifications here and there to better the car, but with the exception of a couple of trips to Infineon the cars has not seen any track time.

A few years went by and the car sat in Northern CA. In 2007 the car had been sitting for close to 2 years and my friend was living across the US in GA. We talked and it was decided that I would bring the car to San Diego with me toclean up and maintain. The car was in rough shape but the potential for the car to come alive again was there.

Photobucket

I got the car to San Diego, cleaned it up, got it running and started taking the car on cruises once in awhile.

Photobucket

In December of 2008 my friend gave me the greenlight to use the RX-7 to build a race car that could be competitive and fun to drive. Due to a minimal budget I am going to have to beg, borrow and barter, but then end result should be a car that is fun to take to the track and show at events throughout Southern CA. I plan on telling the story of the ups and downs of the build process, track days and car events as I work to complete the goals of Project R1.

No comments:

Post a Comment