Saturday, January 31, 2009

Just Wing It

After helping a friend with an unexpected car issue I didn't have much time to work on the car. I decided that a quick spoiler upgrade would be the way to go. The stock R1 spoiler is a good looking piece, but just as with the bumper the '99 Spec spoiler has a bit more aggressive look and is functional in providing the car with some extra down force. This should come in handy on this tail happy import. I had mounted this wing previously, so all the drilling had already been completed and I make quick work of the swap.

This is what the car looked like before I began.

Photobucket

When you pull off the original spoiler a new hole needs to be drilled between the two inner holes of the original mounting location to fit the mounting hardware of the '99 Spec wing.

Photobucket

Now I was ready to mount the new wing. Unfortunately the mounting hardware from the original R1 spoiler does not fit the '99 Spec spoiler. Fast forward the 25 minutes it took me to hunt down some hardware that I could use to bolt the new wing to the car and I was ready to go.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last but definitely not least I needed to cover up the two holes that are left from the original mounting locations. I used a pair of body plugs as a temporary fix until I can get back in and weld in a plug. They may not look the best, but at least they will keep any rain or anything else from coming in through the back hatch. Attaching the wing is quick work and all that was left was to snap a couple of quick pics of a the new spoiler mounted atop the hatch.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment